Friday, October 17, 2008

I MUST HAVE HURT HIM : ZAID TO TUN MAHATHIHIR

IN part two of an exclusive interview with The Nut Graph, Datuk Zaid Ibrahim responds to attacks against him by former premier Tun Dr Mahathir Mohamad on his blog. Expressing disappointment at Mahathir's attacks, Zaid says the former prime minister has done more in his political career to damage Umno and the nation than Zaid himself has or can possibly do... CLICK FURTHER

Zaid: Yes, of course. I seldom get annoyed and angry. But I am quite upset with him now. Firstly, I've always given him due respect. I've disagreed with him on many issues in the past, but I've never attacked him. I've never said bad things about him. Maybe because of his age, his achievements and all that.

But, unfortunately, he did not accord me that same respect. You know, when I was made a minister and he wanted to comment on me, he said: "That lawyer." He never mentioned my name. It's as if my name brings a bitter taste to his mouth. He would say: "That lawyer, that lawyer."

And now, of course, he mentions me in his blog. He attacked me. I ask myself, "Why?" Because I have never attacked him. But when I asked this question to my friends, some people think it's because when I was a minister, I tried to make amends for the 1988 sacking of the judges. And I proposed that, as you know, we should make some payment, a kind of ex-gratia payment as compensation to show our gratitude, and also, in a way, to say sorry for the mess.

But I did not go as far as to open an inquiry of any kind to blame anyone. I was just trying to help five old men and their families — two of them passed away — [to let them know] that their place in history is recognised. I wasn't trying to undermine Mahathir or blame anyone. But, I think, he must have felt that my doing all those things was calculated to embarrass him. I think that must be the reason for [the attacks].

So, it's not surprising that on this occasion, I must have hurt him. But I'm a nobody. I'm not a threat to him. His rendition of history is not going to be rewritten just because of me. He should be worried about (Datuk Seri) Anwar Ibrahim, for example. Because Anwar may be prime minister, or (Tengku) Razaleigh (Hamzah) may be prime minister. But, me? There's no need to attack me. So, I don't know.

..... He wants me to look bad. But he will not succeed. Because people know I'm nicer than him.

You're nicer than him? Oh, 10 times! (chuckles) You must quote that.


Datuk Zaid has high regards for Tuan Guru Nik Aziz!

But in my several meetings with (PAS spiritual adviser) Tok Guru (Datuk) Nik Aziz (Nik Mat), I feel assured because he told me Islam is not about abuse of power; it's not about corruption; it's about your soul, your commitment to the integrity and dignity of the human being, it's about kalbu, it's about your heart. And Islam is the controller. That's the word he used. He said it limits your excesses. So, he was more talking about transforming the culture, as opposed to a specific form of government...

You can have leaders from any party making some political pronouncements for political posturing. Because they think that's going to win them votes. But there are credible, moderate leaders in PAS also led by Nik Aziz. To me, he encapsulates the message of what we call political Islam. To him, justice is key, fairness is key, essential. And Islam is, to him, the heart...CLICK FURTHER

FINALLY, ZAID'S WISE THOUGHTS :

You see, politicians sometimes think they know everything. They are the final arbiters, you know. But, no, I think the people will decide.

...And politicians shouldn't underestimate the importance of people's ability to decide and to shape things.



But I believe that the young people of this country will determine the outcome of elections. I believe the young people of this country know the world better than some of these leaders. They have a more positive worldview.

Original article : Dr M: A man of a hundred contradictions | TheNutGraph

Deep Tots :
  • Thank you 'the' Datuk Zaid for recognising 'the' young people... the political era has changed and can UMNO even cope with era?
  • UMNO's dare to change, reforms, reinvent... yet to proof! I doubt so much as I have written earlier... Convince us the rakyat!

No comments: